The Town of Clarkstown is pleased to announce the Small Business Signage & Building Beautification Program. Qualified businesses will be eligible for a grant for up to $5,000 for sign improvements and up to $10,000 that incorporates other improvements that seek to enhance the appearance of signage or the exterior of their buildings and storefronts.
The purpose of the program is to create a positive visual impact, stimulate economic activity, and improve streetscapes in Clarkstown’s hamlet centers. Enhanced aesthetics for businesses have been shown to increase property values, improve the marketability of space within buildings, and draw businesses, consumers, and residents not only to an individual business, but to the entire surrounding area.
To finance this program, the Town Board has authorized the use of American Rescue Plan funding for up to $500,000. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until funds are exhausted.
Eligible small businesses can be retail, commercial or mixed-use (business/residential) properties but:
- Must be for-profit and classified as a “small business” as defined by the S. Small Business Administration’s Table of Small Business Size Standards
- Must located in Hamlet areas H1, H2, H3, H4. An interactive zoning map can be accessed here.
- Must NOT have any outstanding municipal lien or debt, including unpaid taxes. In addition, properties that have outstanding violations that are not being cured as part of a grant application under this Program are ineligible.
Projects and improvements must involve work performed by a licensed contractor to the visible exterior of an eligible building, such as a façade or storefront. A façade is defined as a side of a building, including parapet walls, that is visible from a public street or public parking lot. The sides of a building that are not visible from a public street or public parking lot are excluded. A storefront is that portion of a building on the ground floor that has a window that allows an unobstructed public view of the interior from any immediately adjacent street, sidewalk or right-of-way. Examples of eligible work include:
- New signage
- Exterior lighting
- Façade repair or reconstruction
- Cleaning brick masonry and façade
- New cornices for the roof gables
- New awnings or canopies
- Window or door replacement
- Rear entrance improvements, if open for use by the general public
All work performed on a building must comply with applicable building codes, laws and regulations.
Applicants cannot begin work on their project until after receiving any/all required permits and approvals from the Town. If work begins prematurely, or if the Town issues a violation against the property during the course of a project, grant eligibility will be forfeited.
The Town of Clarkstown reserves the right to approve or reject applications.
Please download the Guide to Successful Participation in the Program to submit applications.